Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(NEWS) Egyptian Refusenik: I'm Pro-Israel

"Maikel Nabil Sanad claims he's first conscientious objector in Egypt, blames Palestinians for conflict, says doesn't want to shoot Israeli defending his state.

Maikel Nabil Sanad is perhaps the most unusual Egyptian you've heard of recently. He is 25 years old, a veterinarian, graduate of a university in Asyut, and now officially a conscientious objector to military service in the Egyptian army.

'The army told me its final decision was that I must present myself for an officers' course on October 22 in Fayid and start obligatory service of three years,' he wrote on his blog last week. 'I thought about this a lot and decided to refuse to serve in the Egyptian army, and accept the results, whatever they would be, even though I knew the results would be hard because I am the first young Egyptian to refuse to serve for pacifist reasons.'"












Want alerts for new videos?
Like us on Facebook.